In 2010, Speedway acquired the historic Sidles building at 1226 P Street which was originally built as an automotive garage and more recently occupied by a tuxedo retailer and WC’s Bar. The ground floor and storefront was completely renovated and now includes two new restaurant tenants – Topper’s Pizza and Dickey’s BBQ. The upper floors were converted to small one and two bedroom loft apartments catering to young professionals. We have been at full occupancy since spring 2013. Borrowing from the building’s history as an automotive showroom, which at one time included the Buick and Cadillac brands, the apartments have been named the Cadillac Lofts. The Downtown Lincoln Association awarded us the Impact Award – Residential Development on Wednesday, October 30, 2015.
Speedway Properties won the Significant Development award from the Downtown Lincoln Association in 2011 for the creativity and hard work they put into redeveloping the former Salvation Army complex located at 8th and P Street. This complex is comprised of four adjacent buildings located in the heart of the Historic Haymarket District. The property was purchased in 2003 and the buildings were gradually redeveloped in phases over several years. Retail tenants include Dozo Sushi Grill and Lounge, Scooter’s Coffee and Yogurt, and Rodizio Brazilian Grill (opening spring 2013). The upper levels of the complex consist of software and tech-oriented tenants and serve as an incubator providing young companies the opportunity to succeed and continue to grow within the building.
This project involved the complete renovation of the former Standard Meat building and a substantial addition of attractive retail/office space along Van Dorn between 6th & 8th Streets. An attractive 22,000 sq ft flex building was also constructed at the rear of the site. Current tenants in this complex include the State of Nebraska Dept of Environmental Quality, State of Nebraska Health and Human Services, Linex Bed Liners, Crossfit Lincoln, Starstruck Dance Academy, and Ford Van Lines.
The 9,600 square foot Goodwill building was built new in 1999/2000. Previously a parking lot, this new building added life to the Near South Neighborhood when Goodwill relocated its store from South Street to this location on 17th Street. Speedway Properties was the only developer to participate in the South 17th Street Shops rehabilitation plan. The company also put new facades on three historic buildings that are a part of the South 17th Street Shops across the street which include two antique stores and a printing shop as well as 2nd floor apartments.
Located in the Historic Haymarket, the H.P. Lau Building was acquired by Speedway Properties in 1990 when the building was vacant. Originally built in 1904 by a grocery wholesaler, the building sat vacant for over 20 years prior to being redeveloped into a multi-tenant office/retail building. Current tenants include Buzzard Billy's Restaurant, El Potrero Mexican Restaurant, the Starlite Lounge, Chief Industries, and MacPractice.
This 75,000 square foot Star Complex was acquired in 1996 when four buildings were vacated by The Good News Broadcasting Company. The Star Complex was redesigned and completely renovated from an antiquated single tenant complex into Class A multi-tenant office buildings. Current tenants include Merrill Lynch, The Lincoln Chamber of Commerce, and the National Council or Weights and Measures.
The 30,000 square foot Magee Building had been 80% vacant for several years prior to its acquisition in 1995 by Speedway Properties. Renovation required complete demolition of 50% of the interior, creation of a new street entrance, redesign of the skywalk, installation of all new electrical, plumbing, HVAC, and new office walls. Current tenants include Pearle Vision, Bergren Architects, Norm’s Sandwich Shop, Youker Engineering, Floor 99, and Dr. Glory Meakin, DDS.